Using Flow to Improve Cardiac Models for Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
With Quasi Vivo®, Kirkstall’s flow system, you can co-culture multiple cell types either in one chamber or within a connected system. This is ideal for creating more complex organ models, such as cardiac.
ASSESSMENT OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE AND PROBLEMS WITH CURRENT CARDIOVASCULAR MODELS
- In 2008, 17.3 million people died from CVD worldwide and by 2030, an estimated >23 million people will die from CVD
- CVD accounts for more than 50% of deaths in Europe
- Current CVD research uses 2D static laboratory condition and only one or two target cells. This neglects the many dynamics and interactions between key cells, often leading to an oversimplification of results.
- Quasi Vivo® QV500 chambers and accessories: tubing, reservoir bottles
- Parker 2 head peristaltic pump
- Co culture of:
- Endothelial cells (HCMEC)
- Smooth muscle cells (HCASMC)
- Cardiomyocytes (CM)
CELLULAR EXPOSURE TO DOXORUBICIN
- Tri-culture medium developed and established
- Improved spread of endothelial cells in tri-culture
- Cells in 3D tri-culture organise into distinct areas
- Cardiac cells in 3D tri-culture can be maintained for seven days in flow
The effect of Doxorubicin on a cardio model was investigated to see if a three cell type co-culture and a system with flow gives different results to in static conditions. The reported IC50 for cells cultured on coverslips in 2D was 0.5 nm, while 3D cells with flow was approximately 50 nm. There was a 10 fold increase in IC50 from 2D static, to 3D static, to 2D flow, to 3D flow.
DICLOFENAC IC50 ASSAY
Quasi Vivo® is compatible with many 3D cell culture protocols, and can be integrated into your laboratory with ease.
This advanced in vitro technique is physiologically relevant, making your data more applicable to the human situation.
Quasi Vivo®, used in 100+ labs worldwide, getting started is easy and cost effective!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
For all the latest from us, including interesting research videos and more, please subscribe to our newsletter below.
Address: Kirkstall, Ltd York House,
Outgang Lane, York
North Yorkshire, YO19 5UP
Phone: + 44 (0) 1709 361 241
Business Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00am-5:00pm (UK Time)